Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Best Way for Vols to Start 2011, Finish 2010 Strong

Before I talk about the Vols, I want to introduce myself to you. My name is Scott Felts, and I am the Chief Blog Editor here at Tradingo Sports. Tradingo Sports is going to be the place to come to read and talk about sports of all kinds. This blog will discuss the biggest sports news of the day, as well as focusing on the University of Tennessee, because let’s face it; I’m the Chief Editor, and I like the Vols. I make no apologies for that, and will never hide from it. I challenge fans of other teams to engage me in respectful banter, because there is a good chance that I am going to do the same to you.

Tradingo Sports is also your place to come to find truly remarkable pieces of sports memorabilia. I personally like the seats taken directly from Neyland Stadium, as I have a bench in my home, but I am truly surprised at just how many different things that Tradingo Sports either already has available or is working on bringing to you. Some of the things you are going to find here are truly, one of a kind!

Ok, enough about me, for now. Just know that you can reach me any time at scott.felts@tradingo.com Now on to the Vols.

The 2010 Tennessee Volunteers are not where they want to be with a 2-6 record going into November, but they can do a lot for themselves in 2011 if they can string together four wins and make it to a bowl game, and the extra practices that come along with it.

That quest begins this weekend on the banks of the Bluff City, Memphis Tennessee in the western end of the state, makes its way back to Knoxville for a homecoming test with the Ole Miss Rebels (Black Bears), winds its way to the capitol city of Nashville and a date with the Commodores and then finishes at home against the Kentucky Wildcats and the nation’s longest winning streak over any FBS opponent (25 straight games).

The game this weekend in Memphis should be the easiest test of all for the Vols. The Tigers are struggling themselves with a 1-7 record under first year head coach Larry Porter.

Those struggles are no surprise when you look at the Tigers statistical numbers. Coach Porter’s offensive is averaging a mere 13.9 points per game and his defense is allowing 39.4 on average. Those numbers are a direct result of being outgained 451.9 yards to 274.9.

Tennessee will look to take advantage of the Tigers’ weaknesses, but their averages aren’t exactly the stuff of legends. The Vols are outgained 403.1 yards per game to 320.9 which leads to an average score deficit of 29.4 to 21.4.

The Vols should however love the drop off in competition for the last month of the 2010 season. Through the first 8 games, the Vols faced four opponents that were at the time ranked in the top ten nationally as well as trips to division rivals Georgia and South Carolina. The Gamecocks lead the SEC Eastern Division and were ranked 17th when the Vols lost to them last week after coming back to tie the game late in the third quarter.

The Vols last four opponents, who Tennessee needs to win every game against to make a bowl game, all
have losing records, and have a combined record of 10-23. For a matter of reference, if you remove the opening contest with FCS UT Martin and the University of Alabama Birmingham game, six of the Vols first eight opponents have combined for a record of 37-12.

There haven’t been many things go in the Vols favor in 2010, but as their fans look to the end of the season, it appears that, just like things here at Tradingo Sports, change is exactly what is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment